Monday, May 18, 2009

Learning Visual Basic 2008 Express

I'm working on a project. I'm learning Visual Basic 2008 Express Edition. No, 'learning' isn't the project, it's an evil I must conquer so that I can work on my project. I'm building what should be a pretty simple inventory control type program for personal use.

So, as I am learning Visual Basic 2008 Express Edition, I'm climbing the learning curve and doing my best to find answers, tips and tricks. At the beginning, it was very, very difficult for me. I am a fairly seasoned Perl programmer with plenty of personal apps I've enjoyed for many years. But Visual Basic isn't like Perl. Visual Basic is an Object Oriented Programming language. This is very different to me.

Many, many years ago, I studied Computer Science at BYU-Idaho (then called Ricks College). I recall a class or two on Object Oriented Programming and I recall not doing very well. So when I began reading about Visual Basic (which I have never used before), the words 'constructors', 'methods', 'subs', 'overloaded', and 'encapsulation' brought back some 'less-than-stellar' memories.

But I'm pushing through all that with the goal of developing my first Windows Application for my personal use. I'm planning on blogging about some of the things I learn and hopefully, make it possible for others to find answers faster than I did.

No comments: