Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Camping with the Boy Scouts

I am the Assistant Scout Master for Troop 49. Last weekend, we went on a campout up to Aldous Lake, some 50 miles north of Rexburg. I felt I was very well prepped with my backpack (it is a 1.5 mile hike up and in). Just as I was leaving the house to go to the meeting site, the heavens opened and a torrential downpour insued. We were to meet at 4pm in the church parking lot and the rain started at 3:45pm. I waited 5 minutes in hopes it would calm, and it did a bit. So over to the parking lot to get everything ready. The rain continued as we got loaded up and headed out around 4:30pm.

After a 1.5 hour drive, we started the hike up. Slathered in bug spray and with my backpack on tight and comfortable, it turns out the hike was barely even started when we arrived. I could have hauled my pack another 5 or 10 miles - easy.

When we arrived at the campsite, it started to rain. The boys, as boys will be, didn't seem too interested in getting things setup or taken care of. In fact, 2 of the boys left their packs out in the rain. Not sure why they would do that. I got my gear under a temporary tarp and immediately got started on the fire - we had dinner to cook. It was one of the toughest fire starts I have ever done. We fought it for about 30 minutes before we really had it going well. Everything was damp, it was chilly. It was a challenge, but we got it up and going and we got our dinner cooked.

The rain stopped around 9:30 and we enjoyed a nice fireside program of scout skits and stories along with some scout/camp songs. I went tentless - just a tarp draped over a rope tied between two trees. The boys finally slowed down and I hit the sack at 11:45pm. I'm guessing I was out just after midnight. I was awakened at 5:30a to the sounds of one of the boys puking. He hacked and coughed and gagged. Then he spent 20 minutes analyzing what was in it. I never got back to sleep and finally got up around 7:20a.

Saturday, after breakfast of instant oatmeal mixed with filtered, boiled lake water, we hiked up to Hancock lake which is up near the continental divide, right next to the border of Idaho and Montana. The boys fished and played, some of the leaders fished as well. There was no fish to be had up there, and we headed back to camp around noonish.

After cleaning up camp, we headed down the mountain and we were home by 2:30pm. Not a bad campout for how it seemed it would start.


My camping points of wisdom to share:

#1 - Always bring a poncho, even if the weather says it is going to be good. They are really light. Carry them in an accesible place while hiking.
#2 - Bring plenty of bug spray.
#3 - I'll be happy to carry a tent next time.
#4 - Don't forget the Itch Eraser. I was fortunate not to get a single bite, but if I did - I'll want this stuff with me.
#5 - Bring a lightweight shovel.
#6 - Carry an easily-accessible hatchet with a good edge - you may need it on the hike. I'll be strapping mine to my leg on our next hike (in two months).
#7 - Carry more food then clothes. You can always wear the same clothes the next day, but you can't eat the same food the next day.
#8 - Boy scouts can be woefully unprepared, so be prepared to assist in things for them.
#9 - Bring a hat, and sunscreen.

1 comment:

Anna-Liisa said...

I am just glad you all made it home! Camping with a bunch of 12y olds can be so much fun!